You’ve heard the old saying, “Start as you mean to go on,” right? Here we are closing in on the end of January 2012. Did you start as you intend to go on? Was January your best month ever? Are you feeling confident that 2012 will be your best year ever?
- Carve out 5-10 minutes each day this week to reflect on and write down what you want to accomplish this year.
- Work toward creating a list of the goals that matter most to you.
- Prioritize these goals in order of importance to you. (Don’t fall into the trap of trying to guess what other people think your priorities should be.)
- Create an achievement plan for each of your goals. Identify the benefits of achieving the goal, obstacles you’ll face and how you’ll overcome them, and detailed action steps with timelines.
- Decide how you will track your progress and who you will call upon to hold you accountable.
- Incorporate your action steps into your planning system. Whether you use a paper calendar/planner or an electronic calendar (or both), determine the best way to keep your goals AND action steps in front of you on a daily basis.
- Consider working with a coach to keep you on track (and help you with this process, if it seems overwhelming).