Yesterday I had the incredible opportunity to attend the Texas Conference for Women for the second year in a row. Spending a day among 5,000+ other women leaders is an amazing experience! A few months ago, I wrote this blog that was featured on the Texas Conference for Women site about how profound and powerful my first time at the conference was last year and why I HAD to return this year. Without a doubt, this conference is now an annual tradition.
This year I was honored to be part of the Texas Conference for Women Social Media Street Team and to have SOS Leadership’s Austin Leading Ladies, a movement of women leaders I launched in January of this year, participating in the conference as an official Supporting Organization. Sharing this day with so many women I know, respect, and love made this year’s conference unforgettable. The theme of this year’s conference was The Power of Possibilities: Define Your Own Success.
|Some of the Austin Leading Ladies enjoying lunch together|
Here are the best ideas I took away from the conference keynotes (more to come about my breakout session takeaways in a future post):
Words of Wisdom from Verna Myers, Nationally Recognized Diversity Expert & Author:
- Leaders must embrace the power of difference.
- Inclusion is about cultivating. Diversity is about counting.
- Diversity is about being invited to the party. Inclusion is being asked to dance.
- We’ve been taught that difference is a problem! In order to move diversity forward, we have to notice who isn’t included, whose voices aren’t being heard.
Words of Wisdom from Bob Beaudine, CEO of Eastman & Beaudine & Author:
- What if the people in your life were put there strategically to help you get where you want to go?
- You hold the key to your friends and family’s goals and dreams. Are you helping them to achieve what they desire?
- God gave you YOUR WHO. You have a community of friends who will come to your aid in a heartbeat.
- Remember who you are and whose you are. You are a daughter of the King.
Words of Wisdom from Esmerelda Santiago, Award Winning Author & Filmmaker:
- I can make my life a work of art by creating myself.
- We make history happen by creating who we are.
- This is the beginning of your creation of the rest of your life.
Words of Wisdom from Jenny Lawson, aka The Bloggess & Author:
- If you are pretending your life is perfect on social media, you are missing the moments to be brave and real.
- Do things every day that make you furiously happy!
Words of Wisdom from Sallie Krawcheck, One of the Most Respected Voices on Wall Street:
- Holding yourself to standards of perfection is exhausting.
- If it comes down to your ethics or your job, choose your ethics. You can always find another job.
- Your network matters. Research shows that women don’t have nearly the networks that men do.
- Never underestimate the power of gratitude. And a big glass of wine or two!
Words of Wisdom from Leymah Gbowee, Nobel Peace Laureate:
- It is possible.
- Pain and anger drive me. Results and joy keep me running!
- Until you step out of your comfort zone, you will never really see or hear.
- The power of possibilities is the power that changes the world. Do you believe in your own power? Do you know what’s possible for you?
- Am I too afraid to dream out loud? Am I working today to change tomorrow?
- The power of possibility always makes you look like a fool. The world is waiting for someone in this room. The world is waiting for you to change the tide. The sensible things don’t make sense anymore. It’s the crazy things that will make the world upright.
Words of Wisdom from Rachael Ray, Celebrity Chef, Author, & Businesswoman:
- (Had to share how she LOVED ON my home sweet home): Austin is a utopian city. It’s a great cultural example of what it means to be an American.
- Always be growing, but at the same time, always be true to your brand.
- Anyone can be a Rachael Ray.
What a powerful, thought-provoking, laughter-inducing, tear-jerking, inspiring, whirlwind of a day…I can’t wait to do it again next year!
Stay tuned in the weeks to come for additional perspectives from other Austin Leading Ladies about what they learned at the 2013 Texas Conference for Women! And if you’re in Austin, mark your calendar to join us for our final Austin Leading Ladies event of 2013 on December 12th from 6-8pm at Opal Divine’s Penn Field. Get all of the details & RSVP here!